Retirement Visa



  • Thailand retirement visa is the popular term for “Non-Immigrant OA-Long Stay Visa”.
  • The visa can be valid either for a single entry or multiple entries.
  • This visa entitles the holder a stay of 1 year in Thailand.
  • The visa is renewable every year and the renewal process can be done inside Thailand (requirements for the visa renewal still apply).
  • You must already obtain a 90-day initial non-immigrant visa before application.



  • Applicant must be 50 years of age or over

Financial requirement:

  • Security deposit of THB 800,000 in a Thai Bank Account for 2 months prior to the visa application.
  • Monthly income or pension of at least THB 65,000. An affidavit from the consulate or foreign embassy as proof of the income.
  • Combination of the yearly income and Thai bank account with the total of 800,000 THB.

Supporting documents:

  • Bank book or passbook
  • Bank letter stating that the money had been deposited to the account from an overseas source for not less than 2 months.
  • Medical Certificate *
  • Police Clearance *

‘*’ Not required if the visa application is submitted inside Thailand. However, an official from the consulate or Thai embassy or may ask for these documents before issuing the visa.



  • Application can be processed either in Thailand or in your country of residency.
  • All necessary documents should be submitted to the Thai embassy or consulate in your country.

Application for the Non-Immigrant OA Visa in your home country:

  • All necessary documents must be submitted to the Thai embassy or consulate in your country.

Please note that not all the Thai embassies or consulates in your country may be able to issue this type of visa.

Application for the Non-Immigrant O Visa and extension in Thailand:

  • You will have to reside in Thailand 60 days before you can file your Retirement Visa application at the immigration office or you must be on the last 30 days of your current permit to stay.
  • Proof of current address in Thailand is also required.

Foreigners on a Tourist Visa or a Visa Exemption Stamp can still apply for a Retirement Visa given that they has already met the requirements for the Non-immigrant O Visa and for the One Year Extension Visa application.



90-day Reporting for notification of your current address or residence at an Immigration Office is required once you obtain a Retirement Visa. This can also be done by mail or by enlist the services of an agent to do this on your behalf through a Power of Attorney. If you are not in the country when the report is due, the counting of 90-day period before your next reporting will start again upon re-entry to Thailand.

Re-entry Permits are required prior to leaving Thailand. If you fail to hold a re-entry permit and leave the country, your Retirement Visa will be cancelled. Application for a re-entry permit may be done at your nearest Immigration Office or at a international airport before leaving the country.

Bank funds in your bank account must be at least 3 months old before your can renew your visa.

*Please note that retirees cannot import their personal effects to Thailand duty free according to the Bureau of Customs.