Marriage Visa


  • “1-Year Extension of Stay Based on Marriage”.
  • Visa is issued to foreigner who are married to a Thai and meets the other requirements of the immigration bureau.
  • Grants permission to stay one year in Thailand without needing to leave the country.
  • The visa can be renewed within Thailand at the Immigration Office and can be done so every year, as long as the requirements for the visa are still met.
  • The Marriage Visa also allows the visa holder to obtain a Thai Work Permit, enabling the visa holder to work within Thailand.



To apply for a Marriage visa you mus first be married to a Thai national, this is substantiated through a Marriage Certificate.

In certain instances a copy of an Affirmation of Freedom to Marry may also be required. (obtained from the foreigners embasy in Thailand)

Financial requirement:

  • Security deposit of THB 400,000 in a Thai Bank Account for at least 2 months prior to the visa application; or
    A monthly income of at least THB 40,000.
  • A letter from the foreigner embassy has to be shown to verify this income; or
    A combination of the Thai bank account and yearly income with the total of 400,000 THB.

Supporting documents :

  • Bank book or passbook
  • Bank letter stating that the money had been deposited to the account from an overseas source for not less than 2 months.
  • Medical Certificate *
  • Police Clearance *

* Not required if the visa application is submitted inside Thailand. However, an official from the consulate or Thai embassy or may ask for these documents before issuing the visa.



The basic guidelines

  • The applicant must obtain a 90-day visa or a 1-Year Non-Immigrant O visa from your home country  (The 90-day visa may also be obtained from neighboring countries of Thailand.).
  • *Visa must be activated*
  • All documents for the conversion of your non-immigrant O visa to the marriage visa must be prepared.
  • The extension will take place on the last 30 days of the 90-day permit to stay.
  • A one year extension visa must be applied for at an immigration office within Thailand.
  • The processing period may take around one month before issuance of the Thai marriage visa.

Foreigners on a Tourist Visa or a Visa Exemption Stamp can still apply for a marriage visa given that they has already met the requirements for the non-immigrant O visa and for the one year extension visa application.



90-day Reporting as well as notification of your current address or residence at an Immigration Office is required once you obtain a Marriage Visa. If you are not in the country when the report is due, the counting of 90-day period before your next reporting will start again upon re-entry to Thailand.

Re-entry Permits are required prior to leaving Thailand. If you fail to hold a re-entry permit and leave the country your Marriage Visa will be cancelled. Application for a re-entry permit may be done at your nearest Immigration Office or at a international airport before leaving the country.

Bank funds in your bank account must be at least 3 months old before your can renew your visa.

Divorcing the marriage will forfeit the Marriage Visa and you will have to leave the country immediately. However there are some cases in which you may be allowed to stay in the country until your current marriage visa expires.